Friday, August 04, 2006

Bierstadt






So, today Cameron, Scott, Steve, his brother Allen, Cooper the dog, and I climbed Mount Bierstadt. Today started with a wake up at 0430 am. That was not very welcome I can tell you that. We left about 0530 for the trailhead. Once we got to the trailhead it was about 39 degrees F. Brrrrr. We started up the trail and it was no problem until we started getting to the really rocky parts. We took lots of breaks and drank plenty of water. But it was still a difficult hike for basically 5 new hikers (Cam was the only one who had been up a 14er). Once we got to the skree (all rocks) it was crazy hard. We met lots of people that were really cool. And after 3 hours (of really good time) we made it up the 14060 foot mountain. We signed the paper that is in a little tube, took lots of pics, and we also ate a lite snack. Let me just tell you it was so darned cold. I was freezing (I had on fleece pants, a t-shirt, a long sleeved t-shirt, a fleece jacket, gloves, and ear warmers) and I was still cold. On the way down it went pretty fast and it was a lot less strenuous. We finally made it down and ate hot dogs and chips by a little lake. It was pretty awesome!!!

2 comments:

lauren and brad said...

looks beautiful! liz, how did your knee hold up? hikers rule!

Anonymous said...

Hey Liz & Cam.
good work on the mountian climb. Back in the day, I could have climbed that sucker backwards w/ my eyes closed on 1 foot without shoes in about an hour! at least thats the way I remember my bullet proof days. Just kidding. I'm proud of you Liz! Cam, I can see from the pics you didn't quite make it to the summet. looks to me you were a couple of feet short. You need to run back up and scratch your name off the list.
love you guys
Poppa Brad