Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Thyroid business suckaaaaaas




So, first off let me say that I AM FINE! Here is a little story about a thyroid. I went to the doctor for a check-up. She felt my thyroid and said it felt a little big. She wanted me to get some blood work done (TSH and T4) and get an ultrasound of my thyroid. So, the next day I was able to get the ultrasound, and the U/S tech said I DID NOT have a goiter, but it didn’t look smooth (which it’s supposed to). Anyway, that was Thursday, and the tech said their radiologist would read the report that day and have it faxed to my dr’s office by Friday afternoon. Of course I worked Friday, and was worried all day long about having cancer or something else??? So, my good old friend at the hospital said… well why don’t you just call the Dr’s office and have them call you at work!! GREAT IDEA! Now, why didn’t I think of that? Anyway, they said Dr. Barton would call around 5:00-5:30pm. So I am of course awaiting the call the whole time. She calls and says I have a multi-nodular thyroid and my TSH was a little on the high side (which really means I have hypothyroidism… seems weird I know) (my lab was 6.something… normal is 0.4-4). She said I need to see an endocrinologist. So I made an appt but I can’t get in until the 30th…boo. Anyway, a multi-nodular thyroid means some areas are working overtime, and some aren’t working at all. Which promotes a GOITER…AHHHH! So really at anytime a goiter could pop up. Susanne said she would put little bows on it and dress it up, Angie said we could paint it in themes…like a pumpkin, an Easter egg, a witch’s wart… whatever. Anyway, I should be okay, unless a goiter pops up and closes my trachea shut. But I think I would notice not being able to breath.

On another note… I had my interview a week ago on Wednesday, and well… it went fine, but I didn’t get that feeling about the hospital that I have with others. I just didn’t really like it. It’s 11 miles away (Swedish is 2), it’s under a lot of construction, if there was another snow disaster I would have to stay the night there b/c my house is too far away, and the big kicker, I’d end up having to pay $1000 just to transfer (my sign on bonus was $5000 at Swedish, if I get $7000 from new job taxed, it’s only $4000 that I actually receive… so in turn before I get my tax return I have to pay $1000 to Swedish…. So that was a big kicker). It kind of sucks a lot, b/c I want to work on a cardiac floor so badly and I feel like I am losing a lot of knowledge about the drugs and heart and whatnot. BUT… I think for the time being, even though I will have to start wearing a uniform soon, I will stay at Swedish but keep my options open. I technically have to endure 13 more months…BOO…but I do have a few really good friends there.

On a much cooler happier note… my friend Emily invited me to go on this thing called a snowshoeing hut to hut trip. You basically strap on some snow shoes and trek for a while and end up at a hut (it’s all furnished with beds, mattresses, and a stove, and bathroom), we just have to bring a sleeping bag, food, and clothes!!! Super cool huh? I am pumped! It’s at the end of March… so cool!!!!

And, of course for the 4th snow storm on Dec/Jan… I will be at work AGAIN. The third one, they did not call a disaster, and this one they shouldn’t either. They are saying the snow will start Thursday afternoon, snow Friday, and Saturday, about 3-4” everyday MAX! So we should be in business. Susanne and Mike are supposed to come in they don’t get snowed out! I can’t wait to see little Sophie-bee!

No comments: