Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Happy Nurses Day to Me

Happy Nurses Day!
Reasons I love my Job so much:
1. I work 36 hours a week
2. I work only 3 days a week
3. If i work a holiday I get paid time and a half
4. If for some reason I need extra cash, I can pick up a shift pretty much any
day of the week and get paid time and a half
5. I can work anywhere any shift and pretty much choose the job I love
6. I love taking care of people
7. I get to poke people with things (that's sounds mean, but I like it)
8. I get to watch people get better
9. People appriciate me, and that makes me feel good
10. I feel very smart, thank goodness b/c sometimes peoples' lives are in my hands (ahh)
11. I can learn something new EVERYday
12. I GET to learn and am required to learn at least 16 hours of new things a year
BUT it is ALWAYS more than that.
13. I love being good at my job
14. I love skills, like drawing blood, ngt tubes, dressing wounds....etc
15. I love the drama and action of the job everyday... people being super super sick,
codes (not on my pt of course), having to think quick
16. I love love love love love cute little old people that are funny and sweet
17. I love when people tell me thanks
18. I love that I can share things about my job with my other friends who are nurses and
they fully understand (even my momma)
19. I love when I tell people I am a nurse, they are impressed
20. I love the team work associated with my job in critical care
21. My co-workers have and always will rock!
22. I know I said this before, but I love taking care of people
23. I love to problem solve
24. I love that i can assess the pt before the doc comes in, and pretty much tell him
what I want/need for the pt that day.
25. We got a new amazing coffee machine that all you do is push a button
and chai, mocha, caf, decaf, etc comes out!
Reasons I don't love my job:
1. there is a lot of poop to deal with (not like oh dang it was a no so good day and there was
drama, but actually bowel movements).... all over the place
And sometimes people play with their own poop and it gets in their nails.
I also think people are not sick ebough to be in CCU if their poop is formed
I just really don't like poo.
2. I don't really love sputum/spit/snot/lugees
AND i have to suction it out of every orafice daily (okay really just nose and mouth and trach)
3. people and their family members for VERY entitled (cameron word)
they think they deserve everything at that moment, even if the rules say no,
and even if you have another pt dying at that exact time.
They think you should bend the rules for them, just because.
And they can get really mean.
And they can get combative.
And they can call you really mean names.
And they can spit blood across the room.
And they can scratch and bite and hit.
4. People smell bad. A lot. No matter how much soap and deoderant you use.
5. I don't like sweat (mine or other peoples'), which I didn't know until I started working.
6. Women have mustaches. Are you supposed to shave them??? I don't know.
7. People are really freaking fat, like 600lbs, and you HAVE to turn them every 2 hours.
And it takes 4 people usually to help you. Can you imagine having a super sick pt,
or any nurse working with you, but yet you have to use all the nurses on your unit to
help turn your pt, and no one is at the desk???? People, lose a few 100lbs here.
It's not that I am so mad at the person, it's just the weight.
We should get paid extra if they are over 350#s.
8. Sometimes I only pee 1-2 times in 12 hours.
9. I work 3am-3pm
10. we can't really recycle a lot of stuff and that's sad.
11. eyes and teeth. They gross me out. Susanne: remember that glass eye incident at night
once? The other day my pt's tooth was dangling out of his mouth and i just KNEW
it was gonna fall out on my shift. THANK goodness it didn't.
(I like gross stuff, but not eyes and/or teeth dangling out)
So all in all, seeing the differeces, it makes sense to keep working as a nurse :)
I love it and I am thankful for Florence Nightingale. Good job Flo.
Thanks for thinking of hand washing and clean air and water and all that jazz:
The Florence Nightingale Pledge:
-The Nightingale Pledge was composed by Lystra Gretter, an instructor of nursing at the old -Harper Hospital in Detroit, Michigan, and was first used by its graduating class in the spring of
-1893. It is an adaptation of the Hippocratic Oath taken by physicians
-
-
I solemnly pledge myself before God and in the presence of this assembly to pass my life in purity and to practice my profession faithfully. I will abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous, and will not take or knowingly administer any harmful drug. I will do all in my power to maintain and elevate the standard of my profession, and will hold in confidence all personal matters committed to my keeping and all family affairs coming to my knowledge in the practice of my calling. With loyalty will I endeavor to aid the physician in his work, and devote myself to the welfae of those committed to my welfare.
-
(read the post below this one :))

2 comments:

Leslie said...

coffee machine = hilarious!

other stuff = yucky.

i worked with a slew of SNF nurses today and didn't even realize it was nurses' day. bummer. i'll make sure to mention it to them next week though, thanks!

and happy n's day to you. i'm v.thankful there are folks like you to take care of my poop filled fingernails in my future years.

lauren and brad said...

i think you are a wonderful nurse. i am glad you like your job. :)

happy nurse's day! xoxo