Wednesday, August 15, 2007

First Day of ICU

So today I got up at 01:45am, yes folks you read that right. 01:45am AM!!!!!
I had to be at work at 3:00 and go until 3pm.
It kinda of sucked to get up that early, but I loved it!
The first cool thing happened at about 7am. I was with my preceptor and she was on the Code Team (meaning she goes and runs all the codes anywhere in the hospital).
There was a code called in A pob of CCU (we have 5 pods A-E with a total of 42 beds... crazy huh??). It was some trauma pt who was pretty much bleeding out into his belly. And they had to cut open his belly in the room and stop the bleeding. Crazy!! anyway, they had to wait until he was a little more stable to take him to surgery. but the crazy thing was they worked on him for 2 hours, and 1 hour was cpr, meds, and shocking.... and the dude lived!
The second thing was we intubated my patient for a bronch (ot as cool as #1).
Third cool thing... I got to hold a chick's head still while the Dr. drilled a hole in her freaking skull (to place a drain... see pic above). so cool!!!!!!
I love ICU, but it will be hard, and take awhile til i call myself good.
Shout out to all my peeps in Okla at Deaconess 3North and ICU!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

goodness graceous sakes alive!!!!! And this was just your first day? What fun. I bet drilling through that guys scull stank!
Pops

Anonymous said...

congrats on your first day on the job! you will definitely see crazy stuff in the ICU...crazy stuff. hope you enjoy it!

Lane Adair said...

freaky. it's like Saw III and grey's anatomy.

Lane Adair said...

mom's neck got infected. she went to the hospital where she had her surg. I don't know why it looks weird. I-chat is on like aol instant messanger on Macantosh. if you have a video camera you can talk real time face to face on the computer! its soooo cool.

Andy and Laura said...

hey, icu sounds cool. how is it going now that you are on week 2?

yoda is having surgery tomorrow.

post something new. do it now! :)