Monday, January 19, 2009

adios papel (bye bye paper)

most of you will think i am crazy, but most of you also know that i already am crazy.
you all know (and if you don't, then you obviously don't know me at all) that i am a little on the green side, okay, okay, my blood runs green.
i was randomly blogstalking people, when i came upon this new idea:
reusable toilet paper.
yes, at first my very first thought was "GROSS".
but then i started to think about how not gross it was, and how amazing it would be for: my body, the environment, for when we have kids (reusable wipes) and a million more reasons.
it was kinda crazy, but here is one website
but you can also google: cloth toilet paper.
-
yes everyone that i talk to (besides sus) is totally grossed out beyond belief, and almost every person has som story to try and deter me from doing it... little do they know, wipe by wipe i am saving their earth too.
-
-
so here i how i made some cute napkins and toilet paper.
-
-
1. buy cute 100% cotton cloth for napkins
&
100% cloth (i used flannel) for toilet paper
-
2. iron said fabric

3. cut said fabric into whatever size you want for napkins
-i just got 1/3yard for each print of fabric, then
cut that into 3 pieces... big enough for us.
-for the tp, i ct them into 6x6in squares (that's what google said)
CRAZY CUTE!

tp
-
-
4. sew a border around the tp, or it will really ravel away... i tried my hand at all the different stitches my machine can do, and it was fun to see them :) i used brown thread.
-
you can sew 2 tp's together inside out then flip them and sew around the edges again to make a border and have no raveling at all, but i was too anxious to get them done.



see the borders below









with the napkins, i actually hemmed them,
they are too cute to look ravely.
-
we use cloth napkins all the time, but i had a giftcard to the fancy tiger
and it has such cute fabric, i couldnt resist making napkins!!!






FINISHED!




i love the napkins so much!
i will take pics of the other fabric later!
-
-
care of the toilet paper:
1. wipe
2. place in an aluminum trash bin labeled
"cloth toilet paper only"
3. once that fills up,
wash in washer on medium heat with regular detergent
(i use all clear)
4. dry (in dryer or on line) too cold out now :)
-
-
-
at some point soon i will make some wet wipes with
Dr Bronners soap
essential oils
but i dont have a container/wipe warmer...
so until then, just dry ones.
-
i love them so much so far.
-
*note: since i didn't hem them, i have to FOR SURE wash them separately, b/c strings get everywhere, even though i did sew around the edges.

5 comments:

lauren and brad said...

I don't think you are weird at all. I wish everyone loved the earth as much as you!

steve said...

LB is disgusted and wants to know when you became a "sicko/perv who uses poo-diapers."

I dont think she will be coming over to your house if there is not real paper back-ups.

i myself think it is disgusting as well.

Lane Adair said...

I think it is cool, Liz! I don't know if I can go that far...

~Christy said...

AHHHH I LOVE IT!!! YOU ARE SO BRAVE!!! im still totally for it...jake has been taking some convincing ;) even though we arnt doing it, im glad i could at least spark some intrest!!

Aspiring Foster Mama said...

Cutest toilet paper I've ever seen! Cracks me up that people think this is gross.